I am a highly motivated, experienced and result orientated Programme and Operations Director with a sound commercial background. I left the civil service at the end of July 2017 after a succesful carrer spanning more than 35 years,
I graduated from the Cabinet Office Major Project Leadership Academy and was a Cabinet Office accredited Infrastructure Project Authority Team Leader, assuring high risk government programmes / projects.
I was awarded the OBE in 2014 for services to the provision and improvement of digital public services.
Key achievements before leaving the civil service include:
- Successfully led the institute for apprenticeships Setup Programme, with many complex dependencies and stakeholder management challenges, ensuring that the Institute went live on 1 April 2017
- Led a multidisciplinary team to build, deliver and iterate the Digital Marketplace platform, within time and below budget, ensuring that it met the Digital by Default Service Standard and was legally compliant.
- Redesigned government procurement frameworks, including G-Cloud, to transform the way Public Sector buys IT and digital services. Created an open and competitive market giving access to innovative and quality suppliers which saw sales increase from £33m to over £1bn in two years and over 2,500 new and innovate suppliers given the opportunity to work with the public sector for the first time. Nine out of every ten were small and medium size businesses.
- Managed the setup of the Government Digital Service (GDS) as a ‘Whitehall start-up’, building it from scratch to an established business with over 500 people, with an annual budget of £68m and technology that met the needs of the people who used it – a first in Government. GDS was described by The Guardian as “the best start-up in Europe we can’t invest in”.
- Set out the vision and business strategy for Directgov, running its business operations and managed a wide-ranging portfolio of projects and business change activities, including transitioning all citizen facing content from central government websites onto Directgov.
“The man who, more than anyone, defined the digital transformation for public servants. Thank you Tony!” Mike Bracken, former Executive Director of the Government Digital Service